National Company “KazMunayGas” (KMG) is the Kazakhstan operator for exploration, production, refining and transportation of hydrocarbons, representing the state interests in the oil and gas industry of Kazakhstan. Joint Stock Company “National Company “KazMunayGas” was established by way of merger of “Kazakhoil” National Oil and Gas Company and “Oil and Gas Transportation” National Company pursuant to the Decree of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan as of February 20, 2002. 90% of KMG shares are owned by Samruk Kazyna National Welfare Fund JSC. 10% of KMG shares are owned by the National Bank of the Republiс of Kazakhstan. National Company “KazMunayGas” is a vertically integrated oil and gas company performing a full production cycle from exploration and production of hydrocarbons, their transportation and refining to provision of customized services.
KMG sets a goal to ensure maximum benefits for the Republic of Kazakhstan from participation in developing the national oil and gas industry.
The KMG group of companies includes 220 companies. KazMunayGas occupies over a quarter of the Kazakhstan market on production of oil and gas condensate as well as a dominant position in oil refining, pipeline transportation of oil and natural gas in the country.
Today the largest companies of the KazMunayGas group are the following:
- KazMunayGas Exploration and Production JSC (exploration and production of oil and gas)
- KazTransOil JSC (oil transportation)
- KazTransGas JSC (gas transportation and marketing)
- KazMunayTeniz JSC (offshore oil operations)
- KazMunayGas – Refining and Marketing JSC (marketing of oil and oil products in domestic and international markets)
- KMG International N.V. (oil refining, marketing of oil and oil products in Romania and countries of the Black Sea and Mediterranean basins).
Kazakhstan is ranked 12-th in the world proven reserves of oil and gas condensate, 22-nd in natural gas reserves and 17-th in oil and gas production.*
JSC NC “KazMunayGas” produces 28% of the total volume of oil and gas condensate production in Kazakhstan and 16% of the natural and associated gas, ensures 65% of oil transportation via main oil pipelines, 77% of oil transportation by tankers from Aktau port, and 95% of natural gas transportation via main gas pipelines, refines 82% of Kazakhstan oil with a share of the retail oil products market equal to 17%. JSC NC “KazMunayGas” is positioned as one of the largest employers with more than 90 thousand employees in staff.
* statistical review of the world energy by BP for 2013.