KMG’s SDEs conduct their production activities in accordance with the requirements of the environmental legislation of the Republic of Kazakhstan, the Company’s Safety, Health and Environment Policy, the Uniform Occupational Safety Management System (UOSMS), Comprehensive Environmental Program (CEP) and approved action plans of KMG’s SDEs.
The issues related to health and environment safety are monthly announced at the meetings of KMG’s Management Board and the Board of Directors, which increases the responsibility of KMG’s managers and specialists.
Certification reaudit conducted by independent audit firm TUV Thuringen on 2-4 March 2010, confirmed compliance of management with the requirements of ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 international standards.
On 4 June 2010 the 11th annual meeting on the matters of safety, health and environment, industrial and fire safety, civil protection and emergencies was held in Astana with the participation of the management and specialists of KMG’s SDEs. Problem issues the safety and environment services of the KMG’s SDEs face were discussed, and the corresponding decisions on improvement of organization and safety were made at the meeting.
Figure. Expenses for Health and Safety Activities
Every year, SDEs of KMG spend sufficient financial funds for the measures to provide safety of labor and to decrease the number of accidents at work. The Company spent over KZT2.8 bn in 2010.
KMG has a system in place for management of heal, safety and environment, industrial and fire safety and emergencies to identify, assess, control and eliminate harmful occupational hazard and exposure.
In order to prevent accidents and breakdowns, and to improve the safety conditions and work safety, KMG’s SDEs are recommended to continue their work in the following directions:
- Eliminate of the risks of occupational accidents, prevent violation of regulatory health and safety procedures at operational sites and increase personal responsibility of all managers and officials for accidents and emergencies at the place of production;
- Improve control over ensuring the compliance with the labor legislation, standards, rules and regulations on safety by employees, and compliance of the production technology and operating equipment with the requirements of safety standards, rules and regulations in SDEs of KMG. Improve control over the MACs work of the 1st to 3rd levels of control;
- Increase control over ensuring safety during operation of vehicles and special machinery;
- Ensure control over adherence by the contracting (service) organizations, operating on the territory and in the facilities of KMG’s fields, to the legislative requirements of the Republic of Kazakhstan on health, safety and environment, industrial and fire safety, sanitary norms and regulations, KMG’s Uniform Occupational Safety Management System;
- Implement of the system for prevention of occupational accidents and injuries during the performance of every specific type of works.
- Create a system for automated collection, maintenance, search, analysis, classification, processing and storage of data of KMG SDEs on health, safety and environment protection, industrial and fire safety, and emergencies based on information technologies to take prompt and appropriate measures at the corporate level.