The total length of Kazakhstan's gas transportation system is more than 30 thousand kilometers of gas distribution networks, more than 15 thousand kilometers of main gas pipelines, 56 compressor stations with 316 gas compressor units, 3 underground gas storage tanks. Commercial gas is delivered to over 7 million customers within the country. Based on the principles of multi-vector hydrocarbon supplies to domestic and foreign markets, Kazakhstan seeks to develop all economically profitable routes for transit and export deliveries of commercial gas. At the same time, it is important to maintain a coherent energy policy with certain countries as transit and export routes pass through their territories. Gas transmission infrastructure of the Republic of Kazakhstan consists of the following pipelines:
- “Central Asia Center” MP with the capacity of 60,2 bn. m3/year, with the length of 3962 km (operator “Intergas Central Asia” JSC);
- “Bukhara-Ural” MP - capacity of 8,0 bn. m3/year, the length of 1 576 km (operator -“Intergas Central Asia” JSC);
- “Orenburg – Novopskov” MP – carrying capacity of 14.6 bn. m3/year, the length of 382 km (operator “Intergas Central Asia” JSC);
- “Kazakhstan-China” MP (А and В lines) – capacity of 30,0 bn. m3/year, length of 3 909 km (operator “Asian gas pipeline” LLP);
- “Zhanaozen-Aktau” MP – carrying capacity of 2,8 bn. m3/year, length of 432 km (operator “KTG-Aimak” JSC);
- “Beineu-Bozoi-Shymkent” MP – 2,5 bn. m3/year, length of 1 454 km (operator “Intergas Central Asia” JSC, under construction);
- “Bukhara gas-bearing area – Tashkent – Bishkek – Almaty” - 5,8 bn. m3/year, length of 1 597 km (operator “Intergas Central Asia” JSC).
The above-mentioned gas pipelines allow carrying out international transit of Turkmen and Uzbek gas through Kazakhstan in the direction of Russia and China. The volume of international gas transit through the territory of the Republic of Kazakhstan in 2014 amounted to 78,6 bn. m3, within this the share of Russian gas amounted to 49,3 bn. m3, Turkmen gas – 25,6 bn. m3, Uzbek gas – 3,7 bn. m3.
Currently, “KazTransGas” JSC (through subsidiaries – “KazTransGas-Aimak” JSC, “KazTransGas-Almaty” JSC) delivers gas to consumers in Almaty city, Akmaty, Atyrau, Aktobe, East Kazakhstan, Zhambyl, West Kazakhstan, Kostanay, Kyzylorda, Mangistau and South Kazakhstan regions. In 2014, the total amount of gas supply by KTG group of companies to the domestic market amounted to 11,939 bn. m3.
In 2015, “KazTransGas” JSC plans to transmit about 109,2 bn. m3 of gas through the main pipelines of Kazakhstan, including international transit - 83,7 bn. m3 of gas, export – 11,1 bn. m3 of gas, to the domestic market – 14,4 bn. m3.